[OM] Re: fuji film dynamic range of velvia 100F vs Provia 100F

Subject: [OM] Re: fuji film dynamic range of velvia 100F vs Provia 100F
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:14:06 -0700 (PDT)
> I am still looking at the results but one thing that
> strikes me is that the range of greys I can get from velvia
> 100F is about 2/3rds of a stop less than that of provia. Has
> anyone else noticed this?

Absolutely.  And my guess is that from midtone on up it's
probably the same, but on the shadow side it's one or two
squares different.

> Also Provia 100F seems to be about 1/3 - 2/3rds of a stop less
> sensitive
> than sensia 100 when in manual mode. Of course in auto the is
> little difference. velvia 100F seems even less sensitive. But
> perhaps this is because of lack of range.

Interesting.  If you said auto mode I'd blame it on the surface
reflectance characteristics of the film.  Make sure you're
comparing the 18% gray spot and nothing else.  Sensia 100 is a
variation of the Astia emulsion so it will have entirely
different response characteristics than Provia or Velvia.

Velvia does appear to be a hair less sensitive, but I don't mind
as it increases the saturation a bit more. Many people are
choosing to shoot it +1/3 to open the shadows.  Same as with the
ISO 50 version which was usually helped by that additional 1/3
stop.

Now that I've shot a couple dozen rolls of Velvia 100F, I can
honestly say that I prefer the ISO 50 version better. 100F
consistantly has a very slight yellow hue to it (not a problem
when scanning) and it scans a bit better than 50, but it has
lost something in the acutance department.  The older
formulation tended to have a a hint of edge sharpness.  Using
USM with 100F just doesn't bring it back.  I usually have to
overlay some noise in the picture to create the impression of
this lost acutance.  Looks aweful on the monitor, but really
improves the prints.

I know it's a sad comment, but I'm probably going through my
very last rolls of slidefilm.  When my stash of Provia and
Velvia is gone, it's curtains for that format. The cost per
image is getting so high (processing and mounting costs just
went up again) that I can no longer justify it. A DSLR will be
picking up the gap.  It's a shame, really.  There's no reason
why it has to cost so much to shoot quality slide film.

However, if I come across a bunch of Velvia 50 hitting the
expiration date for $1.00 per roll...

AG

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail