[OM] Re: now increasing scanner range

Subject: [OM] Re: now increasing scanner range
From: "GeeBee" <geebee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 10:29:00 +0100
From: "James Royall" <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> So you get more shadow detail doing this? That would *really* help me.
> Anyone know how this would be done in Photoshop?
>
> James
-----------------------

Hi James,

1. load your shot into PhotoShop and adjust the image for optimum highlights
then <save as> 'highlights'

2. return image to original then adjust for optimum shadows. <save as>
'shadows'

3. load 'highlights' and 'shadows' into PhotoShop

4. open the 'highlights' file and <select all> : <control C> (to copy all)

5. open shadows and <control V> to paste the entire highlight file on top of
the 'shadows' file

You now have the 'shadows' file with the 'highlights' file covering it

6. select the eraser tool from the tools menu and set to an appropriate
brush size

7. rub out the blocked up shadows on the highlights file to reveal the
correctly adjusted shadows in the 'shadows' file underneath it.

8 when you have done this select the layers menu and <flatten image>

You can then work on the file in the normal way. You cannot clone out dust
etc until you have flattened the image.

There are probably other, possibly better ways of doing it but this works.

gb