[OM] Re: Shift Lens on E1?/software alternatives

Subject: [OM] Re: Shift Lens on E1?/software alternatives
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:10:04 -0400
Lensdoc is a very slick package.  I'd recommend it if you do a lot of
correction, as the UI is nice.  It's not cheap though at $99.  Much of the
quality of such packages depends on the quality and methodology of their
interpolater, as the program has to both infer and subtract pixels as the
images gets corrected.  A better quality interpolation routine produces better
quality output; but in the end, the pixels are still made up, not captured.

I personally use Panorama Tools' perspective correction, where you can choose
interpolation methods.  But it's definitely a blunt instrument in the User
Interface department.  The UI is nowhere near as nice as Lensdoc's.

If you do the occasional perspective correction, then Photoshop, etc. will do
just fine.  If you're a professional architectural user, then the 24-shift is
the way to go, as its quality is unsurpassed.

I know where there's a 24 shift FS if anyone is interested.  Please reply
offlist to skipwilliams at pobox dot com.

Skip