[OM] Re: about a lens

Subject: [OM] Re: about a lens
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 21:42:14 -0500
Focus has mixed reviews but doesn't sink to the level of a few others
already mentioned that are clearly at the bottom of the barrel.

Be aware that the photo.net "neighbor-to-neighbor" section on camera stores
has occasionally experienced "shills" pumping up the number of good ratings
and high praises on some of the stores that have collected a slew of bad
ones.  Fortunately some moderation is performed (how much and how often I
don't know) and it has weeded some of this out.  It's not hard to spot the
top of the heap though . . . B&H, Adorama and KEH . . . yes they don't
please everyone 100% of the time but their track record overall is a
definite cut above the rest of their peers (those with national advertising).

There are some other smaller dealers listed without nearly the large
quantity of ratings that are also very good . . . but they're regional
dealers and don't have the national (international ??) advertising or
exposure.  You can find them if you wade your way through the massive
listing carefully and look at some of the smaller ones.

BTW, doing business in person is a bit different from doing it by telephone
or via internet.  If something goes awry in the transaction it can be much
more difficult to resolve . . . and that's why I prefer to conduct those
transactions with firms that have the very best reputations.

-- John Lind