[OM] Re: Q. for E-1 Owners

Subject: [OM] Re: Q. for E-1 Owners
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 14:35:27 -0400
You can never re-create data that is missing. All processing will
be a tradeoff. Smaller pixels will always be noisier than big pixels,
along with more color fringing, lens resolution, etc. issues.

I purchased an E-1 for what the camera is today. The future will
not produce lower noise higher pixel count with a fixed sensor
size, unless.... they are able to produce a sensor with more
pixels without reducing the per pixel area. (Foveon perhaps)

Now what I want is an E-1 with a panchromatic sensor. That is
one that only does black and white (no color filters on the pixels)
and one that extends into IR. That is, uses the full spectrum of
light that the sensor is sensitive to. To go along with the new
E-1bw will be a fully chromatic corrected lens covering the
spectrum of the sensor. Additionally there is the new E-1bw to
color adaptor that takes 3 photos in a row with fast a switching
color filter for RGB generation, a true pixel count camera.

Oh, and did I mention the new Olympus E-1ms? The new sensor
does multi-sampling like an over-sampled A/D converter to get
higher dynamic range, sort of like the multi-sample in a scanner.
The difference is that an anti-shake and anti-subject-movement
algorithm can be applied to the multi-samples. The only loss is
around the perimeter of the image. This will be the first very
innovative anti-subject-movement compensating camera.
Already there are sensors that can do very high
sample rates, in the megahertz range, but when the pixel count
gets up there, remember you heard it on this list first.
Another sampling mode is long and short samples, long samples
pull out the shadow details, while the short samples fill in the
highlights. Multi-sampling is the ticket to revolutionary new
digicam design. You can't do that with film. Now on to new
mega-amp-hour battery design... Cameras with built-in venting
fans, they hum like your laptop fan...

Wayne - who ain't been smokin nottin