[OM] Re: Q. for E-1 Owners

Subject: [OM] Re: Q. for E-1 Owners
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:15:23 -0400
I'm not sure if I would prefer an 8080 over a 5060. I want clean
pixels over lots of them. The 5060 is quite responsive compared
to the 5050. I have not handled the 8080. Do you like electronic
viewfinders? $984 versus $539 at B&H. Is it worth the difference?
5x 28-140 versus 4x 28-105 equivalent zooms. If the sensor
on the 8080 is bigger, it may be a winner.

The E-1 shoots like an SLR with nice optical viewfinder compared
to the above. I find that essential, as you can judge DOF better, and
you can tell where the thing is focusing. You cannot tell what the
above cameras are focusing on. Plus you can tweak the E-1 focus
like a real camera. The above you have to guess based on distance.

The next iteration of the E-1 may be more pixels, but will they be
as low noise. I would prefer 800 iso and 5 megapixels compared
to 200-400 iso and 8 megapixels. For most shooting, unless you
tripod mount, stop the wind, shoot a flat subject with no dof, before
you push out of the 5 megapixel range. Infinity focused subjects
may be the exception. <- speaking for myself that is.

With 8 mp your write times to flash will be slower, more offline
storage/picture if you shoot raw. You may find when E-(x) comes
out, that you go for a discounted E-1. But, we don't know what
E-x will be like yet.

Wayne