[OM] Re: Dying Film

Subject: [OM] Re: Dying Film
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 12:19:09 -0700 (PDT)
--- "R.Jackson" wrote:
> You're right, though. I'm not saying Photoshop is to blame any
> more
> than I'm saying Protools is responsible for people not
> learning the
> basics of recording engineering.

I blame "Protools" (and variants) in making it possible for
musicians to become their own recording, mixing and mastering
engineers.  End result 99% of the time is schlock.  But when
crammed into the MP3 format you can't tell just how schlocky the
schlock really is. (Even my half-deaf musician wife can tell
when something has been compressed--at least she doesn't pretend
to know how to run a mixer beyond the basics).

"Protools" (and variants) have so many "plugins" that you don't
even have to know what it's doing.  Ask them to create a wall of
sound from a single mono sound source without a plugin?  Hah!
Ask them to position the sound WITHOUT using the pan control or
a WAVES plugin?  Hah!  Ask them to put "gloss" on a vocal?  Huh?
 But, hey, we've got Finalyzers--who cares how they work.
Somebody had to develop the code though. :)

AG