[OM] Re: Dying Film (Now OT)

Subject: [OM] Re: Dying Film (Now OT)
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:40:09 -0700 (PDT)
> Now we're getting WAY off topic,

So sue us. ;)

> Nobody wants to learn microphone techniques. That's too hard.

Or proper acoustical environments.  Just stuff more sonex in the
room and make up for it electronic reverb.  Hack hack!!!  I do
earn a nice per diem in training, though. I usually spend a
couple days per month training people in live sound,
broadcasting, recording and editing techniques. You may find, as
I have, that the religious community has gone on and advanced
the art. I also earn a nice penny retrofitting existing
facilities with acoustical modifications.  We can end up with
some seriously nice sounding rooms/sound systems and if the band
is well rehearsed, the music is as good (or better) than any
concert.  Oh, it can get pretty LOUD!!! too. (one mega church
with 8000 seating is able to put 127dB full spectrum to 85% of
the seats).

> I do my little films in mono
> because even though I've got a decade of doing live music for
> television I understand what an undertaking a good stereo mix
> can be and I am working hard enough to learn how to be a
> better filmmaker...

Talk about differing mixes. Music for television is mixed with
the vocals pushed about 3-5dB higher than for CD/Radio. I can
always tell when something on television was mixed by a
recording engineer. SNL is the major exception to the rule and
has never had good music mixes--even after all these years.
Rarely do recording engineers understand how to effectively lean
into the broadcast compressors.

> A good 5.1 mix can be a work of art, but just adding
> reverb processing and hard pans to sound effects in post isn't
> art,

I'm dealing with churches installing 5.1 systems.  One even
installed a 7.1 system.  Now, tell me just how we're supposed to
mix live Christian jazz/rock/pop into that?  When done right,
whew!  When done wrong--major distraction.  Much better when
used for theatrical/musical productions or in combination with
the megasized projection screens. (I've been to two different
churches this past year that incorporated laser lightshows in
the Sunday MORNING services!)

It's a brave new world.

> That's the thing with technology, though. It can either
> liberate you
> and allow you to be more expressive in your chosen medium or
> it can
> become a crutch and a cheap substitute for actually knowing
> anything
> about the craft.

See previous.  I deal with it both ways.  Technology is helpful
for covering moronic operators' mistakes. But without a basic
understanding of sound and technology, they'll be nothing more
than button pushers.  That's fine, though, as I earn hundreds of
dollars in extra income going in and setting up a particular
sound system every couple of months because nobody there is able
to learn how to program the digital mixers.  But when I leave,
it's in PHD mode--just like a P&S camera.  Just "Push Here
Dummy".  And everybody's happy.

Now, back to our regularily scheduled programming.  Sorry.

AG