[OM] Re: Dying Film

Subject: [OM] Re: Dying Film
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 22:41:46 -0700
on 7/22/04 5:36 PM, R.Jackson at jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Heh...I got my best taste of the digital mindset last semester over
> lunch when someone at my table was plinking around on his TiBook with
> some photos he'd just taken and said, 'Can you do this with film?" as
> he opened his photos in Photoshop and applied "Auto Levels" to all the
> photos he'd just taken. I looked at some of the monstrosities he was
> creating and said, "Nope."

You still have to have the vision... a snapshooter is still just going to
get snapshots. But I think one of the tremendous advantages of digital for
the casual shooter is that you can get your pictures 'right away' and you
don't have to 'wait until I use up this roll of film' anymore.

My mother has had two Christmas's (gee, I hope I got that plural right...)
on the same roll of film, with the intervening birthdays and other holidays
in the 24 exposures... now she wouldn't shoot ("waste...") a whole roll of
film on one event just so she could send it in for developing (always the
two-day, one-hour is too expensive for her generation) but she will shoot a
few on the digicam and have Dad download them to the screen right away.

So she's not limited to using up whole rolls of film, and she gets instant
and 'free' pictures. Mom and Dad are the new digicam mainstream, and I don't
think they have taken a film picture in a couple years. They have a 2.1MP
Hewlet-Packard digicam that came with a Dell computer my sister bought, no
zoom lens even, but they like it.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...