[OM] Re: Q. for E-1 Owners

Subject: [OM] Re: Q. for E-1 Owners
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 13:21:16 -0700

On Jul 23, 2004, at 12:15 PM, W Shumaker wrote:

> I'm not sure if I would prefer an 8080 over a 5060. I want clean
> pixels over lots of them.

You could say that if the sensors were the same size but they are not.
The 5060 sensor is smaller and according to dpreview.com their noise
levels are about the same .

> The 5060 is quite responsive compared
> to the 5050. I have not handled the 8080. Do you like electronic
> viewfinders?

EVFs are not pretty. But they show you what you are going to get.
Optical viewfinders on digicams are useless for framing when some of
them show 70% of the frame and the percentage varies with zoom.

> $984 versus $539 at B&H. Is it worth the difference?
> 5x 28-140 versus 4x 28-105 equivalent zooms. If the sensor
> on the 8080 is bigger, it may be a winner.
>
> The E-1 shoots like an SLR with nice optical viewfinder compared
> to the above. I find that essential, as you can judge DOF better, and
> you can tell where the thing is focusing. You cannot tell what the
> above cameras are focusing on. Plus you can tweak the E-1 focus
> like a real camera. The above you have to guess based on distance.
>
> The next iteration of the E-1 may be more pixels, but will they be
> as low noise. I would prefer 800 iso and 5 megapixels compared
> to 200-400 iso and 8 megapixels. For most shooting, unless you
> tripod mount, stop the wind, shoot a flat subject with no dof, before
> you push out of the 5 megapixel range. Infinity focused subjects
> may be the exception. <- speaking for myself that is.
>
> With 8 mp your write times to flash will be slower, more offline
> storage/picture if you shoot raw. You may find when E-(x) comes
> out, that you go for a discounted E-1. But, we don't know what
> E-x will be like yet.

I agree that a dslr is the way to go. Olympus has already said that he
next E model will be a lesser model with fewer features.  Maybe a
plastic body with the same sensor?