[OM] Re: Thoughts on IS - and a Confession.

Subject: [OM] Re: Thoughts on IS - and a Confession.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 02:03:21 -0700
Daniel Tan wrote:

>I can't say that I'm really bothered about the USB1.1 speeds (D70), but I
>usually use a CF card reader. The card reader is USB2.0 spec

If you are using a 2.0 reader, the fact that the camera is 1.1 doesn't
mean anything, as you aren't using its USB function.

> though I'm not
>sure about speed, since my card is far slower than the spec speed. I've
>tried downloading off the camera a few times, but I don't see any advantage
>to that, since I can pop the card into the reader, start it copying and pop
>a fresh card into the camera. Even then, It takes me maybe 4-5 minutes
>before a full 512mb cf card (Kingston) copies over. I'm not sure how slow
>"painfully slow" is to you.

Much slower than that. I didn't time it, but with 20-30 shots, I'd just
go off and do something else for half an hour or so.

>Incidentally, you can buy Firewire CF card readers (for about 50USD I
>believe. Maybe more.) that will read FAST. Your limit then is determined by
>the card.

My recollection of tests (vs. specs) on USB 2.2 vs. Firewire seems to
say that sometimes one, sometimes the other will be faster, depending on
hardware, application, etc. And $50 is a lot. A USB 2.0 CF reader is
about $16.

Moose