[OM] Re: E1 vs. 10D, D100, D70, etc...

Subject: [OM] Re: E1 vs. 10D, D100, D70, etc...
From: Jim Sharp <jsharp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 11:43:55 -0500
I think you found the error here but I certainly can't explain where it
came from. The information was right in front of me and I wasn't even
seeing it. I just went through and did a quick check of the data in all
of the other shots.

Interestingly enough, I found an image that's almost exactly the same
scene as #367 but taken a few minutes later with a few different people
in it. The exposure is quite normal. That should have been my clue that
something went very wrong with #367.

I shot about 75 images that day and #367 is the only one where the EXIF
data shows "Exposure Mode: Manual" I certainly don't remember changing
the mode for just this frame, then changing it back. All the frames
before and after are shown as aperture priority just as I remember
setting the camera before I started shooting.

As you probably know, the viewfinder display is different when in manual
mode. The "A" auto mode annunciator disappears and is replaced with an
"M" and a bar graph to use in setting exposure. I have to believe I
would have noticed, but who knows, I am old and all those flashing
lights in the viewfinder may have distracted me... :)

But honestly, if I were in customer service, I'd write this one off to
"operator error" no matter how many times the operator tells me it
wasn't so...

No matter, it's obvious information is there for future reference. I
need to look at it in a more analytic manner from now on.

--
Jim

* Your comment about EXIF ISO data - I see it using Nikon Capture or
Nikon View to view the file. I don't see anything about flash mode other
than "Flash Sync Mode: Not Attached" though. It seems different software
shows a different part of the data set?

Another funny thing. I have a file a friend sent a file from her D100
that's also massively underexposed and I just checked it. It clearly
shows "Programmed Auto" for the mode, but most of the other data is
missing. I'm going to see if I can get the original file and take a look
at it...