[OM] Re: E1 vs. 10D, D100, D70, etc...

Subject: [OM] Re: E1 vs. 10D, D100, D70, etc...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:56:59 -0400
Count me amongst those who think your D100 has a problem.  I have no
experience with Nikon DSLR's but did have a Nikon Coolpix 800 P&S which
used Nikon 256 point matrix metering.  That camera never ceased to amaze
me at how accurate it was in nailing auto exposures under difficult
lighting situations.  Not 100% accutate but pretty darn close.  I can't
believe the D100 is using lesser technology.

Likwise, the Minolta A1 has matrix metering and I also find it amazingly
accurate.  Not 100% (as the Schnozz just testified) but in a scene like
you have depicted I am certain it would get it spot on... certainly not
off by 2-1/2 stops.

BTW, I'm with Peter on the difference between your two shots.  While the
incident light may have been identical the camera's reflected light
meter would see something much different between the two.  Nevertheless,
I believe most modern matrix metering systems should have gotten both of
these correct.  It's the camera or possibly the camera/lens combo.

Chuck Norcutt