[OM] Re: E1 vs. 10D, D100, D70, etc...

Subject: [OM] Re: E1 vs. 10D, D100, D70, etc...
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 07:17:52 -0700 (PDT)
> > warm the picture without actually warming the picture--if
> that
> > makes any sense.
>
> Doesn't make any sense to me, does it have something to do
> with warming the
> highlights without warming the shadows or something ?

Simple white-balance that is exclusively based on the standard
color warmth table tends to over-saturate greens if you go to
the warm side. The A1 has a second white-balance mechanism that
alters the green-magenta balance. By rolling the green off a
touch you can get better tonal seperations.  M*nolta implemented
this to better deal with florescent lighting and the camera is
able to adapt to the various types of florescent lights out
there.  However, the auto WB sucks pond water.  It is too easily
fooled and rarely gets it right.  Compact Florescents (CF) bulbs
totally fool it, as they are pretty close to real incadescent
bulbs in apparant color temp, but achieve it through combining
colors to get it. The Auto WB just chokes on them because it
reads one or two of the colors present and makes an educated,
but incorrect guess as to what the apparent color temperature
is.

Anyway, with the four-way color temp you can skew the color
pretty much towards ANY color.

When in doubt, shoot in "daylight" and color correct later.  Or
better yet, shoot in RAW mode and convert using appropriate
white balance then.  I shot a three day event recently where I
couldn't get a good white balance until the second night and a
better one on the third night.  I then built a conversion
profile with that WB setting and had it process all three nights
worth automatically.

AG

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail