[OM] Tokina vs Zuiko 24 : real world test

Subject: [OM] Tokina vs Zuiko 24 : real world test
From: Rainer Wagner <rainer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 16:19:42 +0200
This is a very non-scientific real world test with everyday objects.

I recently got a Tokina  RMC 24/2,8 , and I now have tried to test this lens
against my Zuiko 24/2,8.

The Tokina is slightly bigger (longer ) than the Zuiko, it take 52mm filters
instead of the 49mm.
The lens is all metal and well built.

I put  Sensia 100 into my OM2 and took shots of buildings and a railway
station on a sunny day, using mainly f8 and the resulting shutter speed.
First shot was always with the Tokina, then the lens was changed and the
second shot taken with the Zuiko. In some cases light variations occured in
the meantime ( clouds and sun) . All shots handheld .
The slides were inspected by

slide loupe ( about 5x)

Projection with  Leitz Pradovit 250 , Elmaron 150/2,8

Microscope at 40x , Olympus BH2 with Bino.

Results:
There was no visible difference in colour rendition.

Loupe:
no difference could be seen.

Projection to about 1,2 x 1,8 m:
there was a slight difference visible at a viewing distance of about 30cm
( which is of course not the normal distance for slides projected to this
size) the  black on white writing on a sign in the middle of the picture ,
(original size on the slide : 1 mm x .6 mm) was easier readable on the Zuiko
slide.

Microscope:
The writing on the sign described above was clearly sharper on the Zuiko
slide, it appeared softer and les contrasty on the Tokina, but was still
readable.

Other slides were also in every case better with the Zuiko in very small,
critical areas, but differences were only clearly visible under the
microscope.

Scanner:
absolutely no chance to see differences with my Epson 1650 photo, everything
came out unsharp...

Conclusion:
Differences are very small, but still in favour of the Zuiko. At normal
slide viewing distance, differences are nor discernable  .

Both are excellent lenses ,taking the conditions of the pictures.

Further tests  : as soon as the sky clears up during nighttime, I will take
pics of the sky at full opening ( this is afaik the hardest test one could
perform)

report will follow  sometime...

Rainer