[OM] Re: E1 vs. 10D, D100, D70, etc...

Subject: [OM] Re: E1 vs. 10D, D100, D70, etc...
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 21:17:48 -0400
My E-1 just works, it's that simple.

I remember back in the 70's when we had lots of the same arguments as to why
our center-weighted metering and auto-flash didn't always work great.
Everybody had to compensate for different scenes.  Many people either don't
know how to compensate or have gotten very fat and lazy with matrix metering,
etc.

In fact, the OM-4t isn't much different than any other camera shooting
transparancy/digital.  If you blow the highlights, they aren't retrievable.
I've used the E-1's spot meter + exposure-comp several times to properly place
a textured white subject at the right "zone" on the film.  Certainly I wish
that the E-1 had the OM-4/4t's multi-spot functionality or highlight/shadow
buttons.  But it has something that a film camera doesn't have: the ability to
acutally see (using the histogram) whether that 2.5 stops of over-exposure will
result in a nice, textured-white, zone 9.

And yes, I too find much of attempted mitigation amusing.  The technology is
just beginning to mature, but many current implementationa take too many
shortcuts in pursuit of profits, speed-to-market, or feature-itis.

Skip