[OM] Re: Sad news in the BBQ department - severely OT

Subject: [OM] Re: Sad news in the BBQ department - severely OT
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 10:58:26 -0700 (PDT)
> So as long as we are getting really OT, are you going to share
> your sauce
> recipe with the rest of us?

Uh, well, ah, which version?  I never do it exactly the same way
twice.

But to tease you:

1. Open Pit Original. (Open Pit Hickory is optional or part, but
not all.  Original is the best sauce to use as a base.  Open Pit
is almost the only commercial BBQ sauce that doesn't burn
easily)
2. Honey
3. Red Hot Pepper Sauce

Add enough red hot to the sauce to the point where you can't
stand it, then add the honey to counteract it.  Make sure the
"Red Hot" is fresh--stale stuff won't work.  I've never had good
success with anything other than the "Red Hot" brand.

4. Garlic (fresh crushed, lots of it)
5. Thinly sliced/chopped green onions
6. Green Pepper (chopped very small)
7. Aniheim Chili Pepper (chopped very small)
8. Chili powder (or freshly ground up chili and cumin)
9. Medium sized yellow onion, VERY finely chopped
11. Fresh ground black pepper (light amount for beef, heavy for
pork)
12. Habinaro (optional)
13. Various leafy spices (oregano, basel, etc)
14. Packet of dry Italian dressing mix
15. Mystery spices as I see fit (you thought I'd tell you
everything?)

Stir all the stuff in.  It'll start to look a little thick.
Make sure there is no clumping.

Now add some more liquidy stuff in small amounts:

16. Worchester Sauce or A1 Steak Sauce
17. Lemon juice
18. Lime juice
19. Asian ~HOT~ cooking oil (hey, where'd that come from?)
20. Touch of peanut oil and olive oil
21. Catalina dressing (if cooking pork ribs)
22. Vinegar or Cooking wine (white for chicken/ribs, red for
beef)
23. Marmalade (if cooking pork ribs)
24. Liquid smoke
25. Mystery liquids as I see fit (more trade secrets)

Now simmer the whole mess for an hour or so and refridgerate
overnight.  Do this the day before the cooking.  The chewy stuff
needs the 24 hours to "pickle" in the sauce.

The sauce should be JUST barely tolerable in the "heat"
department.  Cooking will severely tone that down.  If you don't
get it hot enough (spicy) it'll taste too sweet when cooked.

My preferred way of cooking pork ribs (country style with bone)
is over a slow covered grill. Cook (turning frequently) for two
hours making sure that nothing burns and is evenly heated.
ALWAYS cook pork ribs with chicken.  Place the chicken on top of
(or on the higher rack) the ribs. It's all in the juices!

For the last hour and a half or so (it takes about 3 1/2 hours
for this on a grill with LOW heat), dunk each piece of meat and
place it back on the grill.  Turn after a few minutes.  Repeat
this process for a total of three dunkings.  Make sure that the
sauce doesn't burn.  NEVER EVER BURN THE SAUCED RIBS!

Remove from grill and place in disposable roasting pan. Cover
with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for another half hour. (a
t-spoon of water in the pan will help steam the meat and release
the bond with the bones.

Serve with leftover sauce available for those who want it
"hotter".

This recipe will leave no tastebud bored.

Enjoy.

AG-smoke gets in my eyes-Schnozz

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail