[OM] Re: [OT] Big move for me

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Big move for me
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 00:25:33 -0300

On Jun 16, 2004, at 9:17 PM, Earl Dunbar wrote:

> A very sincere, heartfelt "hurrah" for your choices, and for the
> courage in taking these decisions.  While I am not intimately familiar
> with CUSO, I certainly know of it and have deep respect for it.
> (Question:  Will you leave before the election?  ;-) )

I won't be leaving until late September as far as I know (final date
hasn't been set yet) so I'll be around to vote.

> I am DYING to print on fibre again.  I do not have the facilities for
> a real darkroom right now.  I am going so far as to include the desire
> for that in looking to move to a house that can accomodate it.

I'm really liking fibre. I opted to go for 11x14 since I figured if I
was going to put in the work I might as well get some bigger prints out
of it. It's a big change from working with RC and a dry-to-dry
processor but the results are so worth it. I really can't believe the
quality difference I'm seeing compared to RC paper.

The good thing is that NSCAD (Nova Scotia College of Art and Design)
has incredible photo facilities. Approximately 20 enlargers in the
"junior gang" darkroom and probably at least another 15 in the senior.
2 Ilford dry-to-dry processors for RC paper (can handle up to 20" wide
I think, definitely seen 16x20 go in with room to spare). Probably 8
colour darkrooms (haven't done colour so I'm not as familiar with those
facilities), colour dry-to-dry processor. 4 darkrooms for film
processing, jobo automatic processor. 2 archival print washers. All the
chemicals are mixed up and ready to go (developers, stop, fix, hypo
clear, toners, etc). Plus the creative atmosphere is just great and the
staff are really knowledgeable and willing to help out students. It's
been a really rewarding experience.

> Will you be able to communicate with us from Laos?

Hopefully I'll have some manner of internet connection through work. I
may unsubscribe from the list though in order to cut down on my email.
I think there is an option though to put myself in "vacation mode" so I
don't receive messages which would probably still allow me to email
updates, I'll have to look into the what options are around.

Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.tildefrugal.net/