[OM] Re: [OT] Big move for me

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Big move for me
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 12:53:19 -0700
I've made a bunch of the usual suggestions/comments from my perspective
below.

The biggest thing I would add is about dealing with heat/humidity.
Proper handling and storage will be crucial to an overall good
photographic experience. There is a huge amount of info, experience and
opinions in the archives.

Moose

Andrew Dacey wrote:

>Current thinking:
>
>2 OM-1Ns

I'm an auto knd of guy for day to day stuff. I'd probably have my old
standby 2N CLAed for the trip.
Then I would likely take an OMPC (or even an OM-20/G. Why? To take
places where I wouldn't want to lose or damage the good stuff.
I'd also take a recently CLAed 1(n) carefully sealed up with silica gel
and hope to never have to open it as ultimate back-up.
As someone else has mentioned, I'd take a pocketable camera too. If
batteries are available, probably something like an Epic. Otherwise or
anyway, an XA.

>21/3.5
>35/2

The gap from 21 to 35 is huge to me. I'd prefer a 28mm with the 21mm.

>50/1.4

Good choice for speed and size/weight. Works really well with the Viv 2x
Macro as a 100/2.8 to 1:1.
I'd also take a 35-70/3.5-4.5 to go with the cheap auto body

>135/3.5

A little slow with the 2x. The 100/2.8 or 135/2.8 would be a better
match for the telextender. The 85/2 would get you 170/4

>2x macro tele-converter

Great choice.

We all have our preferrences. I know I would also take a general purpose
zoom. A 28/35/50-135/200/250 of some sort. There are just so many
situations where photography isn't the prime activity and a kit with
multiple lenses and the time to play with them just isn't in the cards,
but I want some shots.

Moose