[OM] Re: E-1 discussion

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 discussion
From: Brian Sledz <brianhome@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 08:38:13 -0500
Hi Joe,
Yes the CCD/CMOS chips are being cooled.  They typically have a built
cooling system that chills the camera to -20 -40 below ambient temps.
They are self contained and are very safe.
I should have been more clear in my description about the differences I
notice with CMOS.  To my eyes and having looked at thousands of
CCD/CMOS astro pics is the contrast coupled with edge sharpness.  The
CMOS pics, Canon 10D included, have a smoothness about them, as if you
viewing them through a very slight blur filter.  The CCD also seems to
have a more contrasty image and appears to need less USM or any out of
camera sharpening.  I am not saying the Canon can't take great pics, in
fact it does, but I seem to have to play with the images more, WB,
sharpness, and highlights blown out.
I know I can set up parameters on the Canon but that leaves shooting in
Adobe RGB out.  Maybe it comes down to this, with the Canon, depending
on the lens, I have to adjust saturation, sharpness and WB.  One reason
why I like Leicas, they are all very very similarly color
corrected.(but that's another topic).  With the Oly lenses, I see the
colors being the same lens to lens and the sharpness being the same.  I
was looking for a system where I could shoot the same settings lens to
lens, rely on AWB, caryy less and get good out of camera pics.  I have
not had my E1 long, a week only, and feel I am at the point where i
could just shoot jpgs.  After a year and 3 months with a Canon system,
I always shoot raw+jpg.
sorry if this TMI,
Brian