[OM] Re: E-1 discussion

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 discussion
From: "Wilcox, Joel F" <joel-wilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 11:35:54 -0500
Hi Stephen,
Thanks for your response. I am enjoying this dialogue and learning a lot
from it. You are bold to champion your C*n*n here as I suspect most are
like me and hope for a great success from Olympus.  But your
contribution keeps things honest.  More below:

Right, neutral.  Under what color light? ;-)

> Joel,
> Well, I think the characteristics are not made irrelevant by
> post-processing, that's just my point; only with a proper workflow
> and at least some depth of understanding of color correction  can one
> 1) make a meaningful evaluation of color performance, and 2) realize
> the true image and color potential of these wonderful cameras.
>
> I couldn't agree more about your point about preferences-I prefer the
> image quality of my D60 to my 1D, but my point is that it's best to
> make these considerations when the appropriate control is used in
> evaluating your images; when a proper tonal range, setting of black
> point, midtone, and white point, and getting your neutrals truly
> neutral is obtained. Otherwise, it's like a person doing traditional
> color film printing and saying that one color film or paper is better
> than another when he doesn't even have his color pack dialed in. What
> a lot of people don't realize is that having your grays *really* be a
> neutral gray has an important and dramatic impact on the quality and
> perception of your *color*. If you're looking at images without
> getting your neutrals dead-on, you're not evaluating your color in an
> accurate and meaningful way-by definition,you can't, because if your
> neutrals aren't neutral, you have, by defintion,  a color cast. And
> by definition, you can't make an accurate evaluation  of color when a
> cast because the cast influences the way we see color due to
> metamerism and our tristimulus mode of color perception.
>
> -Stephen.

I am not a disciple of Dan Margoulis and the "color by numbers"
approach, but occasionally I run into a tough image to correct where it
helps to open the Info and Curves dialogues in PS and use the white,
gray, and/or black droppers to pull the color palette into some
semblance of order.  Finding a gray that really wants to be neutral is
often very tough however.  For me this kind of correction is always
empiric.  If it works, great! because it worked.  But if it doesn't
work, you run from it.  I am surprised that you are able to make of
workflow of this.  Do you have tools to work with that I may not be
familiar with?

Joel W.