[OM] Re: E-1 discussion

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 discussion
From: "Sharp Consulting" <jsharp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 15:29:16 -0500
I purchased a Nikon D100 recently and have decided that once I get accustomed
to the Nikon way of doing things vs. the OM way I'm used to, I think I'll be
fine.

>From what I've seen so far with my D100 and the 990 I had before that, initial
>white balance is *everything* when shooting a digital. If you can set it for
>the light you're shooting in you can get "good" color. If you can't because of
>the situation or the scene, the results will be spotty and require work in
>photoshop.

Then again, you have to decide what you're trying to accomplish. Just a
pleasing photgraph, or one that is both pleasing and true to the original
scene. Not a lot different than picking the right film for the subject you're
shooting.

Here's a couple of examples of what happens by allowing the camera to set it's
own white balance -

http://home.illicom.net/users/jsharp/personalphotos/DSC_00136X9.jpg

http://home.illicom.net/users/jsharp/personalphotos/DSC_00286X9.jpg

Same sky, same camera, same ambient light on the tree ( my pole light ) and
taken  within 10 minutes of each other. Notice the driveway color. Neither one
is all that accurate and this may or may not be pleasing to the viewer. It's
not a huge deal on these abstract things, it's a problem if you're shooting
people or something else where you require accurate color ...