[OM] Re: E-1 discussion

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 discussion
From: Jez.Cunningham@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 10:23:09 +0200

Jim said:

>I was trying to address the point Jez brought up. That being, his desire
>to not have to do any post processing and associated decision making,
>especially given his acknowledged problems with viewing colors.
>Maybe I misunderstood what he was looking for. It sounded like he wanted
>images straight out of the camera to be "good" and hopefully directly
>printable. Getting the white balance correct up front would get him a
>long way toward that goal and the camera will do the work for him...

Yup - that's what I'd like.
I'm prepared to accept 'reasonable' images with auto wb for grab shots, and
quite optimistic that they'll be better than 'reasonable'!  But when it
"has to be right" I'm hopeful that shooting a grey card and setting custom
WB will deliver me accurate colours through to the printer without any
subjective adjustments.  One of my favorite subjects is landscape and I'm
happy to spend plenty of time waiting for the light to be right and getting
the right composition, so adding pre-production workflow time is ok by me.
I have sometimes tried to do the same with film - shooting a greyscale card
just before taking "the" picture and adjusting the scan for the grey card
and applying the same settings to "the" picture - but it's a clumsy
process.
thanks for your help and encouragement!
jez