[OM] Re: E-1 discussion

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 discussion
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 15:22:23 -0400
Shutterbug mag has a review of the new Kodak Pro SLR/n camera and
mentions that there is a new IR filter on the front of the sensor that makes
a difference (especially in blue channel noise). The new filter absorbs IR
rather than just reflecting it.

I would guess that in the long run CMOS may have some advantage
because of its lower power and ability to build better analog circuits on chip.

I have had my E-1 for a couple of weeks now, and have no comparison
with Canon 10D. But I have a bit of trouble with getting correct color
when shooting in raw mode. Today for instance, I was shooting my 3 month
old grand daughter in the solarium (glass room) on an overcast day. I was
wondering if the WB sensor was picking up excessive green from the foliage
outside. I was shooting in raw mode, converted to tiff with Olympus studio using
the camera settings, adjusting contrast and gamma in PS and printing on
Epson 2200. They all have a bit of green cast to them. My monitor is fairly
well calibrated. Here is a shot, converted with Olympus Studio and only
resized and converted for web in PS. Saturation and contrast set to 0.

http://www.zuik.net/E1/_6061570_800x600.jpg

I can tell there is a color cast by comparing directly with the papasan
chair fabric, which is more of a beige color.

Wayne

At 01:10 PM 6/5/2004, Winsor wrote:
><snip>
>There are lots of things that contribute to softness including the
>anti-moire filter that is on top of the sensor. D100s using a Sony CCD
>are comparatively soft out of the camera because they have a thick
>filter, but they become very detailed with some sharpening. D70 images
>are more crisp out of the camera with the next version of the same
>sensor because the filter is thinner. A little more moire though. The
>14N has no such filter and while the images are very sharp and detailed
>out of the camera, moire is a huge problem.
<snip>