[OM] Re: E-1 discussion

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 discussion
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 10:10:25 -0700
Until Canon got hold of it CMOS chips were considered only suitable for
low quality images because of their noise. Their huge advantage was low
power consumption Canon figured out how to make them useable for a
professional camera.  Kodak and Fill Factory have not done so on the
14N and the subsequent Pro models. Nikon seems to be having noise
troubles on its new in house CSMOS like sensor. Usually excessive noise
reduction reduces the detail and gives it a smeared look that has been
compared to looking like a painting. It was a complaint on the early
14Ns, but never on the Canons that I know of.

There are lots of things that contribute to softness including the
anti-moire filter that is on top of the sensor. D100s using a Sony CCD
are comparatively soft out of the camera because they have a thick
filter, but they become very detailed with some sharpening. D70 images
are more crisp out of the camera with the next version of the same
sensor because the filter is thinner. A little more moire though. The
14N has no such filter and while the images are very sharp and detailed
out of the camera, moire is a huge problem.

Generalizing about sensor type is difficult because camera makers vary
their approach to their camera lines. Both Nikon and Canon assume that
the people who buy their lowest priced DSLRs will want to do post
processing less than people who spend more money for a pro camera. Even
the so called "raw" images look different. So the 10D has a slightly
softer, less contrasty, smoother raw image that is more capable of
being turned into a great image with a little work and the 300D is a
little sharper, more contrasty, more saturated, a little more noisy
straight out of the camera even though they use the same sensor. Ready
to print though.

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA