[OM] Re: [OT] Canon EOS-1D Mark II review on DPR

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Canon EOS-1D Mark II review on DPR
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 07:54:48 -0500
Yes, although "interface" might not be a good choice of words here since
I think it implies some working electrical connections of which there
are none.

The Kindai adapter should work on all EOS bodies since it is merely
making a mechanical (mount only) connection between lens and body.  The
aperture and focus, of course, will then have to be operated manually.
The OM lenses have no autofocus capability and the EOS bodies have no
mechanical aperture control mechanism.  With the Kindai adapter the OM
aperture can be operated as either stopdown or preset.  In stopdown mode
the aperture changes as you rotate the aperture ring.  In preset mode
the aperture does not change to the aperture ring setting until you
depress and hold the DOF button while shooting.

CH also advised me that it's difficult to focus the 10D with OM lenses
of 35-40mm or less focal length.  I assume that this is due to the
screen and may be true with manual focus of any short focal length lens.
It might be a different matter with the 1D's interchangeable screens.