Re: [OM] tripods

Subject: Re: [OM] tripods
From: James Royall <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 10:50:30 +0000
Thanks for all the replies and valuable info on this. The first reply from Skip said there will be as many opinions as answers and he was right. I've got plenty of reading up to do (and some money to find too). To answer AG's question I'm 5'11, but not averse to bending my knees. :) Seriously, I've looked at a couple that have been cited as favourites and they can be big when folded - I'm going to end up leaving behind something that doesn't get any smaller than 32 inches long. I know that more joints make for less stability which dictates telescope-ability. I'd be happier to stoop to use a smaller tripod than not have one with me. Who knows, maybe I will end up with more than one, but portability is going to be very high on the list of priorities. For the same reason I'm sure now I'll go for a ball head, so I'll be interested to hear views on Mike's question.

James

Most important question I've got to ask is how tall you are.
The traditional belief is that the camera should be at eye level
at full height--without center extension.  I'm 6'4" so that
means I'd need a pretty hefty tripod.  Do I use it at that
height?  You betcha!  I use every inch, sometimes, when shooting
over fences, tall grass, etc.  But that combined height and
weight are a problem when you need to lug it beyond the car.