Re: [OM] tripods

Subject: Re: [OM] tripods
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 15:28:45 -0800 (PST)
Ah, finally, a "stand-up" subject.

I'm a Bogen/Manfrotto fan.  Not that the others ain't good, it's
just that I've invested in the "system" with all the
interchangeable doodads.

Most important question I've got to ask is how tall you are.
The traditional belief is that the camera should be at eye level
at full height--without center extension.  I'm 6'4" so that
means I'd need a pretty hefty tripod.  Do I use it at that
height?  You betcha!  I use every inch, sometimes, when shooting
over fences, tall grass, etc.  But that combined height and
weight are a problem when you need to lug it beyond the car.

My criteria for ANY tripod includes the following:
* Quick Release Plates
* Robust construction (will it take serious knocks?)
* Legs splay to allow near ground level shooting
* Round legs, not channel or square
* Independant control (height and splay) of each leg
* Replaceable componants
* 3/8" head mounting tread which allows you to use quality
aftermarket heads on the tripod base.

I'm one of those people that there is no ONE tripod that will
do.  I have three of them--each of a different size.  A
smallish, aluminum jobby that I've rebuilt and modified heavily
which is great for backpacking, bike trips, or seriously
low-level work.  (It has a small ball-head originally designed
for holding flash units).  My middle one is the Bogen 3001 base
with heavy-duty ball-head.  I did modify the legs by grinding
down the notches on the leg-splay tabs.  It will get down almost
to the ground, now.  My biggest one is the 3221.  That tripod is
a beast, but is perfect for studio work and when working really
close to the car.

About a year and a half ago I picked up a Bogen monopod.  I love
shooting events with it as it helps stabilize my setup when
shooting in the 100-200mm range.  I haven't used the tripod for
events/portraits/weddings since.  It also makes a good walking
stick.

If I could have just one of the tripods, it would be the 3001
with ballhead.  I've got foam pipe-insulation on it (wrapped in
camo duct tape) which makes it much easier to carry and hold in
cold weather.

If money is no object, get the carbon-fiber legged tripod.  The
weight/warmth of the tripod is a night and day improvement over
aluminum.  Otherwise, skip the "crome" look at get black or the
dull-green ones.  Another benefit of CF over aluminum is that in
*MOST* cases, the CF will not resonate in the wind or as a
result of the shutter firing.  The 3221 is REALLY bad about
shutter resonance with the OM system.

I'm not that big on "the heavier the better".  You can always
hang the camera bag from the central area to provide stabilizing
weight.  Most of my best tripod shots were taken with my
smallest/lightest tripod used in this fashion.  If the tripod is
too big and heavy you won't carry it with you.  If you don't
have the tripod with you, what good is it?

I will attest to the robustness of the Bogen/Monfrotto.  My 3001
travelled extensively via airlines around North America and
Europe.  Never in a bag and tossed in the overhead compartment.
On empty flights it would sail back and forth during takeoffs
and landings--you could hear it smashing into the ends of the
compartment.  I winced the first couple of times, but came to
accept the fact that it was tougher than the airplane.  (that's
real reassuring).  It's heavily "brassed" with the paint worn
off on most corners and edges and a chip here and there, but it
has never missed a beat and continues to get bounced around in
the back of my jeep.  I've had it for probably 14 years now.  My
only dislike is the twisty-leg locks which take forever to
tighten/loosen when expanding/collapsing the tripod.

AG-Schnozz