Re: [OM] tripods

Subject: Re: [OM] tripods
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 11:05:13 EST
In a message dated 12/22/2003 9:19:53 AM Central Standard Time,
om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Most people who want a tripod for the rest of their careers settle on things
like Gitzo or Bogen/Manfrotto
I have the Gitzo Explorer which is fine for most lenses, however for the
really big glass it is a little on the light side.  The feature I most like,
that
you don't find on many other tripods, is that it goes flat so you can get down
on the ground.  They are a little pricey (as are many of the other good
tripods).  I went with the aluminum one rather than the fiber as the weight
difference was about 8 ounces and the price difference was about $200.  There
is a
Kirk ball head on top of it, which I find very useful.  The Tiltall for the
price can not be beat.  If one wants a rock solid tripod to hold and elevate
there
OM, this is fantastic.  I also have a Manfrotto 3228 with a 3030 head which
is a good general purpose tripod at about 1/3 the cost of the gitzo/kirk
combination.  I'm still looking for a heavier tripod for my big glass, however
haven't decided to jump for it, yet.  Bill Barber