Re: [OM] tripods

Subject: Re: [OM] tripods
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 14:14:56 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike" <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2003 2:14 AM

> I never have figured out the attraction of the so-called quick release
> plates. Why would you want to buy expensive chunks of metal with which
> to burden your cameras or lenses? And if you don't have/can't afford one
> on every piece of equipment they are harder to swap than just mounting
> directly.

As I mentioned in an earlier reply, it depends on your equipment. With 35mm
gear and small lenses, it's not that big of a savings (although I still
prefer using a QR plate). With larger gear, it's essential. I tried mounting
my 4x5 camera directly to my tripod without a QR plate when I first got it
(only had a 1/4" plate and the 4x5 has a 3/8" thread). Trust me, trying to
line up the camera's thread with the bolt and then spinning the camera to
thread it on is not a fun exercise when you're doing it with a 10 lb camera.
With a QR plate, I just have to mount the plate (usually done at home with
the camera on a table so I don't have to carry the weight while doing this)
and then I can just pop the camera onto the tripod.

I'm also not sure why you say it's harder to switch plates than to thread
the camera onto a head. With smaller gear, I just use the camera strap over
my shoulder to carry the weight and can quickly unscrew the plate and switch
it to another camera.

I will agree that some plates are definitely very bulky and heavy. The
Manfrotto Hex plates (what my current head uses) are terrible that way. The
Arca Swiss style plates appear to be much smaller and tend to be designed to
fit specific cameras which is a big plus.

Andrew "frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.tildefrugal.net/