Re: [OM] fisheyes

Subject: Re: [OM] fisheyes
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 01:12:35 -0800
on 12/4/03 7:32 PM, andrew fildes at afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Paint loss or adhesive failure is the most likely reason. I have a
> couple of other brand lenses where there is glue failure causing
> white spot (Leica/Minolta 28mm for the CLE is a classic example where
> almost all have it)  - looks fungally alarming but usually has no
> effect and is stable, although on a fish there may be a flare or
> reflection issue as a hood is impossible. It's cosmetically annoying
> too.
> Ideally, strip the brass ring, remove all paint, repaint and reglue
> the ring lightly if absolutely necessary. Awkward job given that you
> are handling a large and rare element.
> AndrewF
> (if you drop the element - I'll buy the rest of the lens :)

HEY! I've been looking quite vocally, for a long time, for the last two
elements of the 16/3.5 lens... check the archives. There's a line here, so
get to the back...!

Actually, this talk of removing elements and repainting makes me a bit
nervous. Don't fix it if it ain't broke! My 8/2.8 is completely
disassembled, because I thought the white spots on the 'back field' of the
front element might be fungus... inspection made me decide 1) they weren't,
but probably paint separation instead and 2) the paint -could- be stripped
and redone, but I wasn't sure I wanted to mess with it. I couldn't determine
if paint remover would damage the coatings, nor could I figure out if a
special black paint would be needed.

FWIW, the 24-Shift had similar (but very tiny, and just a few) white spots
on the 'back field' of its scratched front element, and when it came back
from Olympus Japan with a new front element the 'back field' looked like
black velvet. The spots must be something the develops over time...

And I'm still very serious about the $ub$tantial Finder$ Fee available to
anyone who can point me to a 'parts lens' or the rear-most two elements for
either or both the 16/3.5 and 8/2.8 fisheyes... I need those two-element
groups to restore the lenses to full vitality and usefulness, which I hope
to do someday.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...