Re: [OM] fisheyes

Subject: Re: [OM] fisheyes
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 14:41:36 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Mark Marr-Lyon wrote:

> I'd never noticed this.  Mine's an early one with a UV filter.  When I
> checked this, I noticed a bit of weirdness with the front element.  It looks
> like it's got bubbles around the edge.  It almost looks like element
> separation, but according to the e-sif and parts diagram, the front element
> is just a single piece of glass.  So, I removed the front element to

If the bubbles look like little white spots then it's likely the black paint
which is on the edge (back) of the front element separating from the glass.

> investigate further.  One thing that the e-sif doesn't show is that there's
> a brass ring glued to the back of the element.  From the parts diagram, this
> might be CA165300 and/or CA160600.  It's extremely hard to tell where the
> bubbles are on this very curved lens, but I'm thinking they might be from
> the brass ring pulling off.  Has anyone seen this before?  Does anyone know
> if it is possible to remove this ring, repaint the back of the element, and
> reglue the ring?

Since the parts diagram shows the rings as separate parts, they should separate
from the front element.  If they're really stuck on then it may be best to
just leave things as they are.  Pulling them off may take much of the paint
with it.  You can of course re-paint the back of the element but you'll still
be able to see where the old paint came off.  Unless these spots are really
bad, I'd say leave things as they are, it's very easy to make things worse.
Just ask Albert about his focusing screen :-)
                                -mark