Re: [OM] Cheap Zooms

Subject: Re: [OM] Cheap Zooms
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 20:59:27 -0800
Scott & Barb wrote:

This brings up the matter of an eyecup.  I am slowly collecting zooms over f4
in the hope of finding one I love for soccer.  My current favorite lens for
this purpose is the Tokina AT-X 60-120mm f2.8 which I purchased for use
at a wedding (btw it was great for that purpose).  I love the lens for its
outstanding brightness with the standard OM2n split focus screen.  While I
wait for the 200mm atx zoom to drop in "pre-owned" value

I got my AT-X 80-200/2.8 for $165, which doesn't seem very expensive for such a lens. I think I've seen 1 or 2 for that or less since. It does take patience, but they are out there.

, I am thinking of
buying an eyecup in the hope of getting more use out of my slower zooms.
How much of a difference can I expect an eyecup to make in regards to
preventing the focus circle from darkening?

None. the split image and micro prism (just a bunch of small split images) darkening is a function of focal length and aperture. Cutting out ambient light may make seeing the rest of the image easier, but won't make the actual screen any brighter or prevent the darkening that bugs you. Assuming you are using a 1-13 screen, a 2-13 would give a brighter overall image, but probably be better about the darkening. Oly does have screens that address this problem. If you look at the eSIF focus screen page <http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif/findergroup/focusingscreens.htm> , you will see that, while the standard screens say "for most lenses", others are more specialized. Assuming you are having problems at longer focal lengths, the 1-2, 1-6, or even the 1-7 might solve your problem. The 1-7 gets iffy with normal fl lenses, but doesn't black out at 1000mm and f11. Notice that they say the 1-1,3,13 and 14 screens will black out starting at f5.6, but say the 1-2 is good to f8.

Of course I can spring for a newer generation screen (before they too are gone)
- but then there is the issue of meter accuracy.   Hum.....

With regard to the ongoing 0101010101010 poll, I am more concerned about
mechanical stability than most who comment on the list.  I have just
purchased my second IS-3 so that I will always have one that works.  I love the
camera but those AF motors are not as dependable as my own wrist is  for
adjusting the lens barrel.  I delayed in sending my old IS-3 to John or Clint
last summer and
just made it through my big event.  I'm not sure I'm ready to buy multiple E1's.

I think you will find a vast difference in build quality between the IS series and the E-1 system.

Moose