Re: [OM] Cheap Zooms

Subject: Re: [OM] Cheap Zooms
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 17:46:16 -0800
I sure know what you mean about PCs. I think it's different with cameras, and for a relatively simple reason. Our eyes can't get any value out of much more image info than digitals already can capture.

Regardless of other progress, it looks like digital has already surpassed in all respects the resolution/noise/grain capabilities of 35mm film in at least very expensive DLSRs, and to at least a considerable extent with cameras like the E-1, 300D, 10D and D100. So numbers like 5-15mp for sensor size and file sizes under 50mb aren't going to balloon to 50gp and 150gb over the next few years like the 64k of memory and 10mb disk on my first IBM clone have turned into the 1gb of memory and 120gb disk on this machine.

I know nobody agrees with me, but I think the next wave of development after 10-15mp sensor cameras come down in price will be in better electronic TTL displays to replace the mechanical mirror and smaller, more sensitive sensors with equal or lower noise and lower power consumption (remember that lower heat production gives lower noise, as well as improved battery life). That's going to drive a big change in size/performance. In 10 years, lens focal lengths will be so short, and DOF so deep, that we'll be using PS plug-ins to simulate shallow DOF. (And PS version 17 will require a 77ghz processor, 25gb of memory and several terrabytes of free disk space to do it! :-) ) Nah, by then firmware will offer DOF control in the camera.

Yours in the future,
   Moose

GeoW wrote:

Moose,
I base my theory of obsolence on most all PC based tools, toys, programs, etc. It's only been barely more than ten years ago that we were all using DOS. What was your storage and memory back then? Would you say that that equipment is still capable of much of anything compared to todays PC's?

Now fast forward ten years. Can you even begin to imagine what will be state of the art then? Do you think it work with todays digital cameras? Not likely.

I need to think about it some more now.