Re: [OM] Cheap Zooms

Subject: Re: [OM] Cheap Zooms
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 16:12:30 -0800
Obsolete is in the eye of the user. If I buy a camera which meets my image production needs, it is not obsolete until it doesn't meet those needs, regardless of the capabilities of later designs. If, as some listees have averred, the E-1 is capable of producing sharp, clear prints with excellent color balance of at least 12x18 and that's as big as I want, it doesn't become obsolete when another camera has more megapixels. If my need is to have the latest and most 'powerful' camera, the E-1 (and other 5-6mp cameras) will soon be obsolete. If it is to make pictures it is capable of making, it doesn't become obsolete so easily. Then the difference between a camera that will continue to function for 2-3 years and one that will last 10 years becomes quite significant.

This is not an argument for or against the E-1, just a logical response to your question.

Moose

GeoW wrote:

But why will Olympus build a camera to last ten years when it will be obsolete
in two?