Re: [OM] Cheap Zooms

Subject: Re: [OM] Cheap Zooms
From: "Scott & Barb" <martlet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 23:06:07 -0500
Wayne wrote:
>>The fast lenses in low light is for focusing accurately. The main
>>reason I rarely use the 35-70/3.5-4.5. It has to be a bright day
>>for that lens.

This brings up the matter of an eyecup.  I am slowly collecting zooms over
f4
in the hope of finding one I love for soccer.  My current favorite lens for
this purpose is the Tokina AT-X 60-120mm f2.8 which I purchased for use
at a wedding (btw it was great for that purpose).  I love the lens for its
outstanding brightness with the standard OM2n split focus screen.  While I
wait for the 200mm atx zoom to drop in "pre-owned" value, I am thinking of
buying an eyecup in the hope of getting more use out of my slower zooms.
How much of a difference can I expect an eyecup to make in regards to
preventing the focus circle from darkening?  Of course I can spring for a
newer
generation screen (before they too are gone) - but then there is the issue
of
meter accuracy.   Hum.....

With regard to the ongoing 0101010101010 poll, I am more concerned about
mechanical stability than most who comment on the list.  I have just
purchased my
second IS-3 so that I will always have one that works.  I love the camera
but
those AF motors are not as dependable as my own wrist is for adjusting the
lens barrel.  I delayed in sending my old IS-3 to John or Clint last summer
and
just made it through my big event.  I'm not sure I'm ready to buy multiple
E1's.
Just my 2cents.

I have learned so much from this list as a new photographer I should say
thanks once again to those who take so much of their time to contribute.

Cheers

Scott

Stone Mountain, Georgia  USA