Re: [OM] T-32's and NiMH batteries

Subject: Re: [OM] T-32's and NiMH batteries
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 13:13:53 -0800
on 12/3/03 6:03 AM, Chuck Norcutt at chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Is it the concensus that NiMH batteries are OK in T-32's?  Somewhere I
> have a brief note that Tim Hughes had stated that the T-32 had circuitry
> to limit the current flow from NiMH's but I can't find his actual words
> on the subject.
>
> I was testing my T-32's recently with new alkaline batteries and
> measuring their output with a flash meter for balance and consistency.
> All were a bit below the stated guide number but were within about 1/3
> stop of each other.  I was surprised, however, to see that output
> started falling fairly rapidly after only about 10 flashes.  I'd like to
> give the NiMH's a try to see if they recycle faster and hold the output
> level better.  However, I do not want to fry them.
>
> Chuck Norcutt
> Woburn, Massachusetts, USA

Battery chemistry needs some recovery time, and more so if you're draining
them at a high rate relative to the maximum. If you test by flashing once
every 5 minutes or so you'll probably get consistent output over more than
10 flashes... but test 10 in a row at 'just recharged' or e.g. 'one per
minute' and you will probably notice this falloff. Let those alkalines
recover for an hour or so, and the output will be back where it was
initially, unless you've drained them significantly from new.

This repeatability of capacity (for lack of a better term) is where the
Quantum battery people make their money... a Bounce Grip 2 would give you
faster consistent recycle times, because the four C cells have -much- more
capacity that four AA cells do. Besides you need a BG-2 just for the handy
handle and the pro look <g>.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...