Re: [OM] [OT] A New EB*Y Twist

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] A New EB*Y Twist
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 18:47:16 -0800
I think what Tom says about getting more and higher bids with easy payment has some truth to it. I know as a buyer I will sometimes make the marginal decisions about whether to bid and how much to bid based on payment and shipping requirements. PayPal is just so darn convienient and cheaper than other ways for me that I factor that into what I'm willing to pay on many items. I never use a credit card with PayPal, so any seller with a simple personal account gets it for free. With PayPal and a flat rate shipping charge that is reasonable, I know where I stand. It may also be a factor in my judgement of the professionalism of the seller. When they say Postal MO only, I think about that trip to the PO, and the lines, and what kind a cheap paranoid person I might be dealing with and generally look elsewhere. I happen to have a son who is a manager at a bank, so I can get domestic bank MOs for free and without a separate trip, but otherwise I would feel the same way about them.

Moose

Jim Brokaw wrote:

I generally request payment by 'money order only' stated up front in the
auction, but I wonder sometimes if I'm losing potential revenue and bidders
due to this. I have taken payment through PayPal a couple times, the fees
weren't excessive, but I thought it wasn't worth it for the 'convenience' to
me. Most all the other payment methods I've used as a buyer have stuck the
fees on me, so when I can I pay by PayPal, but I try not to accept it for
incoming payment. Similar to paying the full credit card balance every
month, use the system for your advantage not theirs. I wish I was working so
I could do that... <sigh>