Re: [OM] [OT] A New EB*Y Twist

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] A New EB*Y Twist
From: fred42@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 10:21:08 -0500
Hello all,

When I got emails after my auctions being ended due to the 4lause I had added
eBay quoted that it is law in the state of California, specifically relating to
credit card surcharging. Not having read the law or being a lawyer  I can't
confirm it more than that. Perhaps if anyone has a merchant account in that
state they can help us out with this one.

I am under the impression that Paypal's fee scale is competitive to a merchant
account. Looking at the other companies offering credit card processing
(Andale, 2checkout) their fees are a little higher and they cite that it is
less than the setup and maintenance on a merchant account.

Personally I have been feeling like eBay and Paypal have become a little bit
too business oriented in the last couple of years. By that I mean the bulk/drop
shipping fixed price market. I have come to realise that high shipping/handling
charges are part of this too. I hate it when I have to put in a higher shipping
and handling cost to ensure that I am not out of pocket with the Paypal fees,
but the alternative is that I get my auctions ended and/or piss off buyers (I
have had people refuse to pay extra for Paypal, in fact back before I had to
take out the 4lause not a single person actually paid it). eBay said that I
should incorperate the fees into the selling price of the item. Which is fine
for a fixed price new item but a second hand item has a more flexible price.
And anyway I want to be sure that I recover the best value of the item; to me
the cost of shipping and Paypal is not part of the value of an item.

My experiences with Paypal have made me realize that every time I use that
Visa/MC card about 5 0s going to Visa/MC. I think it it sucks just as much
everyone here, but everyone of us that uses one of these cards is paying them
already and the businesses we are paying have to have that 5 0n mind when
pricing there services. If you wanted to buy shares of something then Visa is a
serious one to consider given the way society uses their services (a nice stat
is that over xmas the average usage of cards is about 4500 transactions per
SECOND, a 35 0ncrease over normal).

Anyway gripe mode off. ;)

I am still going to buy stuff on eBay but my selling habits may change.

Dan S