Re: [OM] OM-PC Question

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-PC Question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 18:32:48 -0800
The metal arms have little holes in them that fit over small plastic pins or bosses on the sides of the mirror frame. As I'm not entirely clear about which side you are talking about, so I'll use my own definition. Looking at the camera from the front, upright, the right arm only attaches to the mirror frame. The left arm is longer and has a pin sticking out up higher that looks like it goes through the side of the mirror box where a spring likely attaches to it to hold the mirror in place when down.

So, if it's loose on the right (as I've defined it), and the little pin is not damaged, it should be possible with a thin implement to spread the arm out just a bit and push it up to drop over the pin. I pretty sure there is enough clearance to do that, looking at the spare frame and peering deeply into a working PC.

If the pin is damaged, I have a spare mirror frame and reflector, but there are 2 different mirror sizes and my spare is the smaller one, so would have to confirm that it fits. Also, replacing the mirror frame requires pulling out the front casting, which is not for the mechanically challenged or faint of heart. And the mirror would have to be taken off the existing frame and re-glued on the new one. I would do it on a camera of relatively low value like the PC, but not on something like an OM-4, where the value is high enough to justify having someone really competent fix it. Of course, if the PC is a really nice one otherwise, it still might be worth having it fixed by a pro.

Moose

Daniel Sepke wrote:

Hi all,

Just got one of these in and it has a wacky little problem. On the back of
the mirror is the flap that reflects back to the sensor through the semi
silvered mirror. Well this on this one the flap has come off one of its
hinges somewhere up in the roof of the mirror box. With the camera upside
down the hinge is off on the left.

It doesn't pop back into place, rather it meets with resistance (probably
the pin it should be on). Does anyone know if it can be stored to its
correct location? It is a shame as it is probably the cleanest one I have
got in my recent buying. If it is a simple one I am tempted it keep it.

Any clues?