[OM] America 24/7

Subject: [OM] America 24/7
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:43:40 -0800
Pardon me if you have already thrashed this to death.

Today at Barnes and Noble I had a look at "America 24/7", one of those short period photoshoot picture books that come out every once in a while. Has anyone seen it? The last one I saw was a one day in Africa book and used Olympus E-10s I believe. This one used a mix of pros using supplied Olympus digital cameras(not an E camera this time) and submitted pictures from amateurs.

The question is why do these books look so bad? Is it the printing? Despite seeing stunningly sharp pictures from these cameras all over the web, I flipped past page after page of soft images with no contrast. I looked in vain for a sharp point in most of the pictures. Occasionally there would be one that looked pretty good by comparison, but nothing to compare to the beautiful image on the dust jacket. Just a cheap a-- book? It does not do a service for digital photography or Olympus.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA