Re: [OM] Scanning / compressing a file for Tope 16

Subject: Re: [OM] Scanning / compressing a file for Tope 16
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 13:59:22 +0000
Ian

All you have to do is to reduce the size of the image to 600-700 pixels long or high. Don't bother changing the resolution as it makes no difference to the size of the file that results.

I scan at 4000 or 5400 ppi, save the resulting file for turther use, normally as a .jp2 or compressed .tif. For web use I then reduce the longest dimension to 750 pixels, save it as a .jpg (normally at 80-90% quality, but aiming to keep the file size to less than 100Kb). I then make sure that the file information is complete (using Photoshop Elements) with my name, a caption and a copyright notation before sharpening ever so slightly and saving it again.

The file is then ready for publishing. I am becoming more sensitive to the Gamma setting of the destination monitors (since I have a Mac which normally operates at 1.8), but that'[s about it.

Chris