Re: [OM] new to darkroom

Subject: Re: [OM] new to darkroom
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 18:59:47 -0800
on 11/13/03 11:39 AM, Lars Haven at om_fan@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Ilford has some good information on processing B&W film, for instance
> http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/pdf/Film%20Hobbyist.PDF
>
> I particularly like the alternative washing method where you rinse the
> film in the tank by changing the water just three times: Fill with water at
> the processing temperature, invert five times, drain and refill, invert ten
> times, drain and refill invert 20 times.
>
> I have used a modified version of the procedure for many years. I add a
> fourth rinse for luck and a final rinse in demineralized water with a wetting
> agent added to prevent the calcium stains. Has worked perfectly, saved
> tons of water and there is no worry about temperature changes.
>
> Someone once made a thorough analysis of the method and posted the
> report on the net. I forget where, but hte conclusion was that it works, but
> it is important to drain the tank thoroughly.
>
> Hope this is of some use,
>
> Lars

Way back when I was taking photo classes at the community college we used
something called "Hypo-Clear" which dramatically reduced the amount of time
required for rinsing... As I can remember, it was a bath after the stop,
soak a print for a couple minutes, then all you needed was a 5-10 minute
wash... and this was Afga Brovira (real paper, not RC). I don't know if you
can also use this stuff when washing your negatives, but I don't see why
not, unless someone can correct me.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...