[OM] John's metering dilema

Subject: [OM] John's metering dilema
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 17:20:00 -0500
Most of you that have spent some time on this list know that I consider the
incident meter to be the gold standard in at least 900f metering
situations. I am joined in this by virtually every commercial and industrial
shooter alive. The joy of the incident meter is that it compensates for
various situations that the reflected meter cannot, the most obvious being
highlight and shadow. The complex ttl meters in wonderbricks spend a lot of
time and trouble doing what the much more simple incident meter does
automatically. This makes me totally confused by John's situation!

I would start by removing any questionable item from the mix. Remove all
filters, and shoot a couple of test rolls. On each roll, under normal
daylight conditions, shoot exposures set with the internal meter, the
Sekonic incident, and the Sekonic reflected meter. Carefully record each.
Compare readings with the sunny sixteen rule. Take the film to two different
labs. Compare the results.

If results duplicate previous rolls, the problem is the meter. I'm not
familiar with the Sekonic (as many of you know, I swore off that brand after
a bad experience), but there may be independant calibration of the two
modes. If not, send it back.  The incident meter should be your workhorse,
and it needs to be right.

Good luck, at least you don't have to deal with Mamiya of America for
service!

Bill Pearce