Re: [OM] John's metering dilema

Subject: Re: [OM] John's metering dilema
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 13:49:23 -0700
John Hudson wrote:

What I think has happened is that the linkage between the exposure information
shown in the viewfinder does not match the actual shutter speed.

That is the conclusion I reached, as well. As Sherlock said (paraphrased), 'When we have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.' The only explanation that fits all the facts is that the shutter speed setting/readout is not the actual speed of the shutter. Although you have documented a great many details, one isn't clear. You refer to the "exposure information shown in the viewfinder". Does the speed shown in the viewfinder agree with the speed set on the shutter speed ring? If not, there is a linkage problem that clearly requires the shop to redo their work. If not, the mistracking is elsewhere. Since it is consistent across light levels, it is likely a misadjusted mechanical linkage or potentiometer. Perhaps something that got bumped in reassembly.

The suggestion Piers made of taking documented flash shots in Manual Mode shots at speeds above and below 1/60 is interesting. I believe the 4T won't fire a flash above 1/60 sec (except the F280). Without knowing whether that is based on real or indicated speed, test shots could be confusing to interpret.

Have you tried shooting comparison shots at manual 1/60 and at the special mechanical red 1/60 down next to 'B'? If exposures are obviously different, you have proof that the indicated and actual shutter speeds are different.

Moose