Re: [OM] John's metering dilema

Subject: Re: [OM] John's metering dilema
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 09:58:09 +0100
Truth be told, Moose, I also suspected that the 4T might interact with a
T-series to prevent flash firing at speeds above 1/60.  So I deliberately
referred to "electronic flash" meaning "generic".

BUT I just tested a T20 set to manual mode on my 4T set to manual 1/250.
Flash fired without any problem (and I didn't need to tape off the
flash-ready contact, which was Plan B. You may be thinking of the behaviour
of the F280 on the 4T - in Super FP mode, it won't fire if the camera
autoexposure is longer than 1/60, and in OTF mode it won't fire if the
exposure is shorter than 1/60.

The point you (and others) made about the red mechanical 1/60 compared to
manual electronic 1/60 is a very good one.

I *do* think that John needs to get away from the comparison of the 4T
results with other meters/cameras.  The 4T left to its own devices produces
good results and only goes "wrong" when set as indicated by a separate
meter, or when compared to another camera.  Both those pieces of equipment
have to be suspect, because they have not been calibrated according to
Olympus specs (NB Devil's Advocate mode is switched on here!).

You have to base the case (that the metering/shutter are mutually correcting
a miscalibration of the shutter?) purely on the 4T's behaviour.  "Testing"
the shutter this way will do just that.

Piers