Re: [OM] John's metering dilema

Subject: Re: [OM] John's metering dilema
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 13:46:11 -0700
on 10/1/03 8:22 AM, John Hudson at 13874@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> What I think has happened is that the linkage between the exposure
> information shown in the viewfinder does not match the actual shutter speed.
> For example, multi-spot metering shows an average exposure in the view
> finder of say 1/45 @ f16. When the shutter is fired the shutter actually
> fires at 1/125 @ f16 giving me a properly exposed slide. When I set the
> camera manually at 1/125 @ f16, which is the Sekonic reading, the shutter
> actually fires at ~ 1/375 @ f16 giving me an under exposed image.
>
> If my Sekonic gives me properly exposed slides using an M3 I am confident
> that the meter is accurate. The fact that I cannot take my Sekonic's reading
> to my OM4T in manual mode tells me that the link between OM4T's indicated
> shutter speed is different from the actually speed with which the shutter
> fires. How does one get that line of thinking over to the CLA people!
>
> John Hudson

John, do you mean that when you set 1/125 @ f16 using the shutter speed ring
you are actually getting 1/375 @ f16 on the film...? Or is it that when you
see 1/125 in the finder display you are actually getting 1/375? Seems to me
that if you set the exposure manually, camera set on "Manual", setting the
shutter speed ring to 1/125 should get 1/125 on the film, not 1/375.

If your slides are actually coming out two stops underexposed when set to
1/125, when your separate meter indicates that 1/125 is the correct
exposure, and if that same meter gives correctly exposed slides with other
cameras known to be functioning correctly, the problem is that the shutter
speed ring is setting the shutter wrong.

Clint or John H. can tell us for sure, but there might be two different
inputs to the shutter timing... one for "Auto" operation that is working
correctly (but displaying wrong in the finder) and one for "Manual"
operation that is not working right. It sounds to me like the CLA might have
knocked the shutter speed ring "Manual" settings out of whack, and possibly
the finder display has some adjustment as well that isn't right.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...