Re: [OM] John's metering dilema

Subject: Re: [OM] John's metering dilema
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 13:22:44 -0300
> I had a lengthy phone call from "Mike" at Nortown Photo Service
[authorized
> Canadian Olympus service / repair station where my OM4T went for CLA] in
> metro Toronto this morning.
(snip)
> What I think has happened is that the linkage between the exposure
> information shown in the viewfinder does not match the actual shutter
speed.

John, I had an Olympus RC meter repaired and the camera CLA'd by a repair
shop in Ottawa about 4 years ago. When it came back, the gooey foam in the
back was not replaced, a battery change was not done, the meter needle was
off by a whole stop as to what the aperture was actually doing, plus the
auto flash system was off its correct setting by about a whole stop, but the
meter itself was working. I changed the foam myself a year or so later. I
have been using it that way, and compensating for the flash setting, until
just this week, when I finally took it apart myself and set the meter needle
right.  But I'm not sure a similar thing could happen in a 4ti since they
are electronic, whereas the RC is just a simple mechanical design. I didn't
have the courage to try to get to the auto flash setting on the RC yet to
try to adjust it. Yesterday I did pick up some things I need to convert it
plus 2 others I have to the 1.5v battery.

So I haven't had the best of luck with CLA's either.  Right now my Yash*ca
124G is back to Mark Hama for the second time this summer, at least I hope
its there. It came back from the first CLA and meter repair in virtually the
same condition that I sent it, not working correctly at all. I returned it a
few weeks ago per his instructions, and have heard nothing back yet, nor
have I gotten any answers to emails. It is frustrating as I did want it for
a wedding in November. Sometimes I think it is easier and cheaper just to
buy another camera, which I will likely do from now on. But perhaps that is
not the case with the 4ti :-)

>. How does one get that line of thinking over to the CLA people!
>
> John Hudson

Wayne