Re: [OM] two more 300/2.8 questions

Subject: Re: [OM] two more 300/2.8 questions
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 10:32:19 -0700

>KEH has a filter holder (although more expensive than a new one from B&H)
>and they've also got several pol.filters in 43mm. What's the problem?!?
>
>Thomas B.

I have an extra holder but standard CP filters are too thick to fit into
the lens. At least I haven't found any other than the designated Tamron
which is now difficult to find and spendy if you do. It apparently lacks
the rotating ring. The B+W is too thick (I called Schnieder) and they
don't make a slim in 43mm. The holder listed at B&H is for the 300/2.8
auto focus version of this lens and isn't interchangeable with the
manual focus according to Tamron tech. I'm going to try the Tamron CP
made for the AF version of the 300/2.8.  If it doesn't fit I'll file it
down as Walt suggested. The reason I previously asked about always
leaving the plain filter in the holder was that I had considered
removing the plain glass and installing the CP glass in the old filter
ring, discarding the rotating and thicker polarizer ring. But I would no
longer be able to use the plain glass filter.The responses to my query
have convinced me that this is a bad idea. So.... anyone have a beater
43mm filter from which I could harvest the ring?

Mike