Re: [OM] two more 300/2.8 questions

Subject: Re: [OM] two more 300/2.8 questions
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 08:40:00 -0400
Mine works that way too, but if you tighten it a bit more, it acts
as a firm stop, which I find more useful in some situations.
Sometimes in the heat of battle, the detent goes undetected and
can be overrun.

Let me give a better example of its use than the one I offered
last night:

You're shooting a baseball game from a spot along the first base
line.  There's a runner on first and only one out.  If the batter
hits a ground ball, unless it gets through, there's probably going
to be a double play, or at least an attempt at one, with the
runner sliding into second, intent on taking out the player trying
to turn the double play and make the throw to first.  You focus on
second base and tighten down the little knob.  Then you refocus on
first base in case there's a pick-off play, or on the pitcher, or
the catcher and batter, maybe even the blonde babe in the halter
top sitting behind home plate, or anything closer than second
base, secure in the knowedge that if a ground ball is hit, a quick
twist of the focus ring toward infinity slams to a stop right at
dead solid perfect focus on second base and the action you most
wanted to capture.

Walt